Location: Calgary, AB
Expires: February 18th, 2016
WHO WE ARE
We are more than just planes and tarmacs. We are about connections and stories made possible by our work. We are committed to creating an environment where our people are rewarded through meaningful work experiences. Not only do you get to be a part of developing one of Canada’s busiest airports, but you’ll be joining one of Alberta’s Top Employers.
The Calgary Airport Authority is leading an exciting expansion program at YYC worth over two billion dollars. With the recent opening of Canada’s longest runway and the construction of a new international terminal, this is an exciting time to be a part of the #YYCCrew.
OUR SAFETY, SECURITY & EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PEOPLE
If you are passionate about your work and thrive in a fast paced and busy environment, then you will fit right in with this group. Our Safety, Security and Emergency Preparedness team is always on the go and work very closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the safe operations of our international airport. This team of seven know the terminal and airfield inside out, they make a real difference every day, and of course, like the rest of our people, they know how to have fun!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Are you an individual that thrives finding unique solutions to complex OH&S issues? Are you craving the chance to use your wits, tenacity and negotiation skills to find not only enhanced safety processes, but also practical solutions, operational efficiencies and supportive working relationships? Do you want a part of a mature safety program in a company that has incorporated safety into our culture at all levels of the organization? The Calgary Airport Authority is an organization of approximately 300 employees where you can put your personal touch on safety. On the other hand, the airport itself is large enough that you will be exposed to a considerable diversity of safety responsibilities and challenges. If you want to work hard, grow professionally, connect with people, create opportunities and make substantive change, this is the role for you.
Reporting to the Director, Safety, Security and Emergency Preparedness, the primary focus of this role is the safety of construction and service contractors working at the Calgary International Airport. You will work closely with our Planning and Engineering Department, internal contract managers, Public Safety Department, and a whole lot more to keep this 24 hour airport hub operating safely and efficiently. Our contractors say this Safety Manager is “everywhere.”
Specific duties may include:
- Provide leadership and advice to management, employees and partners in developing, reinforcing and promoting proactive initiatives to enhance and build the safety component of our corporate culture.
- Assist with contractor safety by enabling contractors to appropriately protect all airport users, facilitate discussions among client groups when incidents occur.
- Provide leadership and development opportunities to the safety programs of key service contractors and contract managers.
- Support construction project managers and service contract managers to ensure appropriate safety standards are met.
- Draft safety policies and construction safety code of conduct in accordance with legislation and Authority standards.
- Participate in stakeholder meetings as required, provided safety subject matter expertise.
- Identify Prime Contractor relationships and work with key stakeholders in support of the projects.
- Manage numerous construction projects from a perspective of evaluating project scopes to ascertain appropriate use of Prime Contractor, including coordinating Prime within Prime situations, assessing, supporting, spot checking and enforcing Prime Contractor relationships.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education in safety or similar field: degree, diploma or certificate in occupational health and safety; environmental science, kinesiology, or similar; and/or professional equivalent experience.
- Experience in occupational health and safety (e.g. construction safety; ergonomics; industrial hygiene; job safety analysis; hazard identification/control; workplace inspections; accident investigations).
- The ability to lead respectful crucial conversations, and the humbleness to recognize your own shortcomings.
- Strong written and presentation skills including the ability to write, develop and deliver.
- Ability to effectively build relationships and trust with multiple internal and external stakeholders in order to investigate incidents, guide corrective actions, and ensure a safe workplace.
- Ability to proactively resolve problems and manage conflict/negotiate positively.
- Role model a high level of professionalism, integrity and ethics.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License or equivalent, subject to a clean driver’s abstract.
Preference will be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- AAE, CRSP or similar designation(s) in airport operations or workplace health and safety.
- Experience managing a workplace safety program and/or experience with workplace legislative compliance under federal or provincial codes.
- Working knowledge of construction related safety practices and guidelines, related to hazardous building materials, heavy lift, confined space, high-voltage, fatigue and others.
- Comprehension and application of “Prime Contractor” language in the Alberta Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Working knowledge of environmental regulations that pertain to the storage, use and emergency response of hazardous materials in the workplace.
- Five or more years of experience managing a workplace health and safety program.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
It’s simple – we invest in our people because they are the backbone of our success. We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Attractive benefit, pension and wellness programs
- Flexible work schedules
- Growth opportunities
- Opportunities to give back to the community
- A contagious aviation bug – seriously, it’s infectious.
Like what you see and think you have what it takes to join the YYC Crew? Send us your resume and cover letter, quoting competition number 1609BB by 1600hrs on Feb 18, 2016 to:
Fax: (403) 717-2216
To find out more about The Calgary Airport Authority, visit us online at www.yyc.com.
All applicants are thanked for their interest but only qualified candidates will be contacted.
The Calgary Airport Authority is an equal opportunity employer.
Successful candidates will be required to obtain the Restricted Area Identification Card.
Successful candidates for safety sensitive positions will be required to undergo a pre-employment medical assessment to confirm fitness for work.
The Calgary Airport Authority complies with PIPEDA. By forwarding your resume, you are consenting to the collection and use of your personal information for this job competition. Your information will be kept confidential.