Location: Whitehorse, YT
Expires: Dec 1, 2017
The Yukon Division of Terus Construction Ltd. is seeking a dynamic individual to join the team as our Regional Safety Supervisor. Terus Construction is a leader in the construction industry in BC and the Yukon specializing in road construction, ready-mix concrete, aggregates and civil construction. The position reports directly to the Area Manager and is based out of our regional office located in Whitehorse, Yukon.
The Regional Safety Supervisor is responsible for managing and maintaining the company-wide HSE Program throughout the Yukon area. The primary operating location is Skookum Asphalt in Whitehorse with projects in the Yukon, the North-West Territories, Alaska and Northern BC. Skookum Asphalt operates fixed and mobile asphalt plants, aggregate pits, paving crews and civil construction crews. The successful candidate must be prepared to travel extensively within the region in order to service all of Skookum Asphalts project and plant sites. Travel expectations are as much as 70% of the time during the busy construction season (April to October). A company vehicle is provided and all travel expenses are covered by the company.
The Regional Safety Supervisor is Skookum Asphalt’s primary resource on all HSE matters. They will lead Skookum’s efforts to ensure HSE programs are implemented, and the goal of zero accidents is achievable. The Regional Safety Supervisor’s duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Guide Skookum Asphalt in the implementation of all HSE policies and procedures, and promote good due diligence practices.
- Check company and subcontractor operational activities for compliance with HSE Program and regulatory compliance, and work with the Area Manager to ensure these requirements are enforced.
- Make recommendations for improvements on compliance with HSE requirements.
- Lead Skookum’s management team in continuous HSE improvement via a combination of strong leadership and excellent communication.
- Conduct worksite visits and inspections, report on conditions, and provide recommendations to address hazards and compliance with HSE requirements.
- Provide incident investigation support to Skookum Asphalt, which includes conducting investigations, supporting operations personnel to conduct investigations, and reviewing investigation reports to ensure they are high quality.
- Develop and coordinate Skookum’s HSE training programs.
- Provide support for the management of workplace injuries and compensation claims, including liaison with claims management service agencies.
- Review HSE Key Performance Indicators (Leading & Lagging), and compile reports for the Area Manager and Terus HSE Manager.
- Liaise with regulatory enforcement agencies, including Yukon OHS & WCB, Environment, Highways & Public Works, and Yukon Environment.
- Conduct internal, and review external, HSE audits including audits to maintain COR certification.
- Assist with regulatory environmental compliance and client environmental management requirements.
- Provide leadership for Safety Committees and foster a high level of teamwork within the Safety Committees.
- Liaise and maintain a good working relationship with the BC North Regional Safety Supervisor, Terus HSE Manager and Environmental Coordinator.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Highly motivated to achieve a high level of performance
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Working knowledge of HSE legislation (Yukon OHS, Environment, etc.)
- Up-to-date with MS Office software applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Team player and able to lead others in achieving program goals
- Self-starter with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Certificate or Diploma in OHS and NCSO designation, or equivalent education and experience (CRSP accreditation is preferred)
- Four to six years OHS/HSE experience as a Safety Officer or Coordinator
- Construction experience, preferably road construction, including any or all of the following: paving, traffic safety, mobile equipment, ready-mix plant, asphalt plant, aggregate operations, trenching/excavations, confined space entry, working at heights
- Yukon COR Auditor qualified (or eligible to qualify as COR Auditor)
We offer a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits and pension plans. The position includes professional development opportunities through education, training and experience. A positive work environment is enhanced by opportunities to participate in company social and sporting activities. In addition, the Yukon has a great mix of community organizations and programs that provide a wide range of health, social, business, recreational and financial opportunities. The Yukon is a vibrant and growing place to live, work and play. Yukon residents enjoy a quality of life that is second to none with easy access to one of the biggest outdoor playgrounds on the planet.
To submit your cover letter and resume, please visit our website www.terusconstruction.ca.
Terus Construction Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for submitting their cover letter and resume; however, only applicants selected to be interviewed will be contacted.