Location: Fort St John, BC
Expires: Dec 1, 2017
The BC North Division of Terus Construction Ltd. is seeking a dynamic individual to join the team as our Regional Safety Supervisor. Terus Construction is a leader in the construction industry in BC and the Yukon specializing in road construction, ready-mix concrete, aggregates and civil construction. The position reports directly to the Division Manager and is based out of our regional office located in Fort St. John, BC.
The BC North Regional Safety Supervisor is responsible for managing and maintaining the company-wide HSE Program throughout the BC North area. BC North has operations located in Fort St. John, Taylor, Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge and Fort Nelson with four asphalt plants, four ready-mix plants, 15 aggregate pits, five paving crews and two civil construction crews. The successful candidate must be prepared to travel extensively within the region in order to service all of the BC North’s project and plant sites. Travel expectations are as much as 50% of the time during the busy construction season (April to October). A company vehicle is provided and all travel expenses are covered by the company.
The BC North Regional Safety Supervisor is the primary resource on all HSE matters. The Regional Safety Supervisor leads the BC North’s efforts to ensure HSE programs are implemented, and the goal of zero accidents is achievable. The Regional Safety Supervisor’s duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Guide BC North in the implementation of all HSE policies and procedures, and promote good due diligence practices.
- Check company and subcontractor operational activities for compliance with HSE Program and regulatory compliance, and work with the Division Manager and Area Manager to ensure these requirements are enforced.
- Make recommendations for improvements on compliance with HSE requirements.
- Lead BC North’s management team in continuous HSE improvement via a combination of strong leadership and excellent communication.
- Conduct worksite visits and inspections, report on conditions, and provide recommendations to address hazards and compliance with HSE requirements.
- Provide incident investigation support to BC North, which includes conducting investigations, supporting operations personnel to conduct investigations, and reviewing investigation reports to ensure they are high quality.
- Develop and coordinate BC North HSE training programs.
- Provide support for the management of workplace injuries and compensation claims, including liaison with claims management service agencies.
- Review HSE Key Performance Indicators (Leading & Lagging), and compile reports for the Division and Area Manager, and Terus HSE Manager.
- Liaise with regulatory enforcement agencies, including WorkSafeBC, BC Mines, CVSE and BC Ministry of Environment.
- Conduct internal, and review external, HSE audits, including audits to maintain COR certification.
- Provide leadership for Safety Committees and foster a high level of teamwork within the Safety Committees.
- Liaise and maintain a good working relationship with the Terus HSE Manager and Environmental Coordinator.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Highly motivated to achieve a high level of performance
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Working knowledge of HSE legislation (BC Workers Compensation Act & OHSR, BC Mines, BC Environment, etc.)
- Up-to-date with MS Office software applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Team player and able to lead others in achieving program goals
- Self-starter with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Certificate or Diploma in OHS and NCSO designation, or equivalent education and experience (CRSP accreditation is preferred)
- Four to six years OHS/HSE experience as a Safety Officer or Coordinator
- Construction experience, preferably road construction, including any or all of the following: paving, traffic safety, mobile equipment, ready-mix plant, asphalt plant, aggregate operations, trenching/excavations, confined space entry, working at heights
- BC COR Auditor qualified (or eligible to qualify as COR Auditor)
We offer a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits and pension plans. The position includes professional development opportunities through education, training and experience. A positive work environment is enhanced by opportunities to participate in company social and sporting activities. In addition, Fort St. John is the “Energetic City” offering the best hunting and fishing opportunities in North America. Recreational opportunities also include travel on the world famous and scenic Alaska Highway, excellent year-round sports facilities including hockey/ice rinks, long track speed skating oval, indoor running/walking track, aquatic center, cultural center, library, museum, and many parks and trails. Fort St. John was proclaimed the “Music Capital of Northern BC”. Talented local performers, supportive businesses and venues, and northern hospitality makes Fort St. John the place to be for musicians and music lovers.
To submit your cover letter and resume, please visit our website www.terusconstruction.ca.
Terus Construction Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for submitting their cover letter and resume; however, only applicants selected to be interviewed will be contacted.