Employer: Ontario Ministry of Labour
Location: Mississauga, Ottawa
Expires: January 4, 2016
Do you have surface and plant mining experience and are you looking for a new challenge? Does health and safety matter to you? If so, then this is a great opportunity for you. Bring your surface and plant mining experience and your enthusiasm for workplace health and safety to the position of Occupational Health and Safety Inspector for Surface Mining with the Ministry of Labour.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• enforce the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations
• conduct comprehensive inspections and investigations, write orders and reports
• engage in enforcement activities including prosecutions
• work with health and safety partners, workers, union/management to promote safe work practices and working conditions with workers, unions and management through the Internal Responsibility System (IRS)
Locations: Mississauga, Ottawa
How do I qualify?
• You must possess a class “G” driver's license.
• You must be able to travel extensively, respond to after-hour calls, and work evenings and weekends as part of regular scheduled work.
• You must have applicable Surface Common Core Program P770210.
• You require minimum 3-5 years of work related mine experience or other equivalent training.
• You have experience with mining operations and equipment to identify, evaluate and control health and safety hazards.
• You have knowledge of trends, new developments and biological/chemical hazards in the field of Occupational Health and Safety in order to identify and evaluate safety hazards regarding mechanical processes, chemical, biological and physical agents in the workplace.
• You have working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, pertinent regulations, standards and codes, and sections of other relevant provincial or federal statutes and regulations.
• You have the ability to enforce, interpret, apply and explain legislation.
• You possess strong reasoning and judgement skills to maintain objectivity.
• You are able to assess and use the appropriate level of authority to enforce the occupational health and safety legislation.
• You can remain neutral through investigations and inspections.
• You have experience conducting inspections and investigations including interviewing experience and experience handling evidence.
• You have analytical and auditing skills and the ability to learn enforcement and court procedures.
Communication and interpersonal skills:
• You have conflict resolution and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively impact and influence others with professional advice/solutions.
• You can respect differing interests and communicate appropriate course of action.
• You have well developed communication skills to promote compliance, provide advice and consultation.
• You have the ability to accurately document and convey information with demonstrated experience in report writing.
Other important skills:
• You have knowledge of computer information technology, computer databases and software packages.
• You have sound planning and organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities.
• You are a results oriented person and have the ability to deliver on performance objectives.
Salary Range: $1,321.19 - $1,624.55 per week
- 1 Permanent, 1290 Central Pkwy W, Mississauga, Central Region, General Screening Requirement
- 1 Permanent, 347 Preston, Ottawa, East Region, General Screening Requirement
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to provide a general or enhanced screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above on this job advertisement to determine the screening check that is required for each position.
A general screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense. An enhanced screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense and permission for the Negotiations & Security Branch , Employee Relations Division to conduct any specific screening as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above.
A record of a Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check results will only be reviewed and evaluated by the Negotiations & Security Branch for the purpose of making a clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the Negotiations & Security Branch and kept strictly confidential.
How to Apply:
You are required to complete an application form. Please visit the Ministry of Labour Website in order to download the application and obtain instructions on completing and submitting the application form. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job. Please quote Job ID 83433 in the subject line of your e-mail, and submit your application by Monday, January 4, 2016. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.