Employer: Peel District School Board
Location: Mississauga, ON
Expires: Nov 15, 2017
Are you a champion of workplace health and safety looking to showcase your talents as a subject matter expert? Can you lead the way in the development and delivery of a full portfolio of quality programs and services across the Peel District School Board? If so, we should discuss this career opportunity.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Human Resources Support Services – Labour Relations and Academic Staffing, you’ll oversee the development and implementation of strategic goals and the delivery of Health and Safety support services to the Board, including contractual services of consultants or specialized vendors delivering Environmental, Health and Safety programs to our Board. Having honed your skills in progressively responsible positions, you’re well prepared to handle the full scope of duties – from administering policies, procedures, programs and guidelines to ensure legislative and regulatory compliance, to providing expert advice, consultation and guidance to senior management and supervisors on workplace accidents or injuries, violence and harassment, and other issues of major importance.
This is an opportunity to demonstrate your depth of knowledge by acting as an expert resource to unions, federations, associations, and external government agencies and ministries, as well as to the joint OHS committee. It goes without saying that, as Manager of Health and Safety, you’ll also lead and manage staff, develop and evaluate quality service initiatives, education materials and training programs, and oversee the departmental budget.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Your expertise in matters of Health and Safety is solidly supported by a post-secondary diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Safety Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Science or a related field, as well as the following professional designation(s): Health and Safety Designation (CRSP); or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH); or Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH); or Environmental Professional (EP); and Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification. The role of Manager, Health and Safety, will also call into play the following strengths:
- At least seven (7) years of related experience in progressively responsible positions
- Experience in the public/education sector in a multi-union environment
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and supporting regulations, WHMIS, Asbestos, Regulation 833, designated substances, etc.
- Expert-level knowledge of, and experience with, project management and development and implementation of strategic goals, programs and services
- Excellent analytical, investigative, research and report-writing skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of employees, management, unions and federations
- Demonstrated effective supervisory and leadership experience
- Excellent conflict resolution, problem-solving, negotiation and organizational skills to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work under high pressure and tight timelines
- Experience in managing a departmental budget
- Intermediate-level skills in Microsoft Office, Vista, PAM and Parklane
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse school community and/or work environment.
SALARY: $92,311 - $115,390 per annum
To apply for the position of Manager, Health and Safety, please complete an online application through www.applytoeducation.com. Your completed application package on Apply to Education must include your cover letter, resume and supporting educational credentials. Applications must be received no later than 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
The Peel District School Board is one of the largest school boards in Canada, with more than 153,000 students in 253 schools.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing selected candidates. For the safety of students, all school board staff need to provide a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencement of employment.
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We will provide reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, during the hiring process if advised in advance.