Membership FAQ

Regular vs. Associate Member

What's the difference between regular and associate membership?


Regular membership is intended for those who work in the OHS&E industry and who actively implement health and safety procedures into their workplace. A regular membership can be for a consultant (internal or external); OHS&E Coordinator, Director, Specialist, Advisor, Manager, Assistant; Registered Nurse; Risk Specialist; Construction Safety Officer, etc. Regular members can participate in elections and vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).

Associate membership is for those individuals who work with or sell safety equipment. Associate members do not have voting rights at the AGM, but enjoy the same benefits of a regular member.

Individual Membership / Group Billing

Is My Company a Member of the CSSE?


Membership with the CSSE is individual; there are no corporate memberships. However, the CSSE offers a Group Billing Option for organizations that employ 5 or more CSSE members. If you’re interested in Group Billing read the group billing page please contact the CSSE Office at 416-646-1600.

Member Area Access

I just registered on-line for membership; when do I get my password for the Member's Only area?


Once your membership has been processed by the Membership Coordinator, he or she will send you your password via e-mail. This can take approximately 5 business days.


What is the difference between HST and GST? Is my company HST/GST exempt?


HST is the Harmonized Sales Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island.

GST is the Goods and Services Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in the Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.

To find out if your organization is GST/HST exempt, please contact your accountant or financial services manager.

Student Membership

I am currently enrolled in part-time studies. Can I apply for a student membership?


Yes. However, if you are currently employed as a Health and Safety professional, you must apply for regular membership. Student Membership is intended for those who are not currently employed in the OH&S industry and who are currently enrolled in school.

Transferable Memberships

Are memberships transferable?


Memberships with the CSSE are not transferable. If a CSSE member changes jobs, the membership remains with the member.

Not an engineer

I am not an engineer. Why does the name include "engineering"? Can I still join CSSE?


To become a member of the CSSE, you do not have to be an engineer; however, you must work in occupational health and safety.

The CSSE is an association of Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Practitioners that are engaged in the engineering of safety; that is to say: designing, developing and delivering programs, policies and procedures that manage risk and control loss.

Proof of Student Status

I have paid my membership and mailed in my proof of student membership as requested. Why don't I have access to the member's area of the website?


Even though applicants are given the ability to pay their membership online, the “proof of student status” must be received and reviewed in the office before the membership application is completed. Once the entire application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a confirmation email which will include your login details.

Student Outside Canada

I am a full-time student outside Canada. Which member type should I apply for?


All full time students may apply for student membership, no matter in which country they are a full time student, as long as the applicable proof of “student status” is provided.

Retired Membership

I just turned 65 years old. Do I qualify for "retired" membership with CSSE?


The Retired member type is for those no longer employed in the field of Health and Safety and is not associated with the legal retirement age. If you are still employed in the field you are ineligible to apply for the retired membership category.