Employer: Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
Location: North York, Scarborough, ON
Expires: May 26, 2017
Are you a dedicated engineering professional looking to apply your expertise as part of a dynamic and effective environmental compliance and enforcement team with the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change that supports work across the province?
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will be required to:
- Provide specialized engineering/ technical advice in the identification, assessment and evaluation of industrial process/chemical management safety and associated control systems in support of the Ministry's environmental compliance and enforcement program.
- Provide professional engineering expertise in incident deconstruction/root cause analysis in the event of an environmental incident to analyze evidence, assess and interpret findings, prepare reports and expert opinions in order to provide expert testimony in environmental prosecutions.
- Provide hazard analysis, and critical compliance points on the management of contaminants/toxic substances by industrial facilities or during their transportation, for developing compliance and enforcement initiatives, and/or policy/program recommendations on preventative measures.
How do I qualify?
- You will also possess membership in the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Willingness to obtain certification as a Provincial Officer.
Engineering and technical knowledge:
- You have thorough knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of engineering, applied chemistry, toxic substances/contaminants, industrial processes and chemical management safety, technologies related to industrial process and chemical management safety, pollution/emissions controls, risk management/assessment methodologies and root cause analysis.
- You have the ability to apply knowledge to complex technical analysis of engineering documents to provide expert advice for the Ministry's compliance and enforcement activities, including hazard analysis and identification of critical compliance points.
- You have knowledge and comprehensive experience in environmental protection program implementation to develop successful implementation strategies for modern compliance and enforcement actions.
- You have knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant legislation (e.g., EPA, OWRA, Toxics Reduction Act), regulations, policies, programs, guidelines and standards in Ontario and knowledge of other jurisdictions (e.g., Provincial, Federal, US).
Interpersonal and communication skills:
- You have consultation skills to provide technical guidance and advice.
- You have oral communication and presentation skills to deliver training materials, presentations as well as appear in court as an expert witness.
- You have written communication skills to prepare a variety of materials (e.g. briefing materials, technical papers, training materials).
- You have conflict resolution skills to effectively mediate complaints and resolve contentious issues.
- You have relationship management skills to establish and maintain credible and effective working relationships with colleagues, industry representatives, the courts and the public.
Judgement and analytical skills:
- You have analytical skills to assess and apply research results to develop practical solutions to unique and complex issues.
- You have strong judgement to render decisions that can withstand legal scrutiny.
- You have analytical and judgement skills to appropriately apply engineering concepts when investigating and assessing design issues, recommending new compliance and enforcement initiatives and evaluating safety and environmental concerns.
Project leadership skills:
- You have group leadership skills to represent the Ministry at various events and on various committees.
- You have knowledge of project management tools and methodologies.
- You have experience leading complex engineering studies and projects.
Salary Range: $79,260 - $104,020 per year
- 1 Permanent, 305 Milner Ave, Scarborough, Toronto Region or 5775 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region, General Screening Requirement
Please apply online, by Friday, May 26, 2017, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 107078 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.